Here is a list of Free Blogging Platforms that are also some of the more popular blogging platforms in the world. Every one has it pros and cons and nuances that make them popular amongst their fans. See which one suits you best.
The most popular blogging platform in the world. Whether you want to host your blog on WordPress servers or on your own server, you have a wide variety of templates, plugins and widgets available to setup and customize whichever way you please.
- Full standards compliance -No rebuilding
- WordPress Pages –WordPress Links
- WordPress Themes -Cross-blog communication tools
- Comments -Spam protection
- Full user registration – Password Protected Posts
- Easy installation and upgrades – Easy Importing
- XML-RPC interface – Workflow
- Typographical niceties – intelligent text formatting
- Multiple authors – Bookmarklets
- Ping away
Contains all the features of traditional blog tools, and extends them with evolved features such as file & photo management, advanced skinning, multiple blogs support as well as detailed user permissions…
- Multiple blogs – Multiple domains
- Multiple users and authors – integrated stats
- AntiSpam Deluxe – Blog skins
- Plugin framework – Advanced categorization
- Localized in several languages – Web standards compliance
- True workflow – Easy install & upgrade
A PHP-powered weblog application which gives the user an easy way to maintain an online diary, web blog or even a complete homepage. While the default package is designed for the casual blogger, Serendipity offers a flexible, expandable and easy-to-use framework with the power for professional applications.
- Robust Editing Interface
- Threaded comments, Nested categories and posting to multiple categories
- Anti-Spam / Comment moderation
A web-based tool to help you maintain dynamic sites, like weblogs or online journals. Pivot is released under the GPL so it is completely free to use. It is written in PHP, and does not require additional libraries or databases to function.
- Sophisticated Categories/Weblogs system, so you can maintain several weblogs and publish your entries how you like
- Template based. Fully adaptable to your wishes
- Built in simple search tool
- Keeps simple statistics of how your visitors came to your site
- Easy to upload and include pictures with your log-entries
- Allows for making thumbnails of uploaded images
- Comment system that remembers your visitors
A PHP/SQL blogging tool which resides on your web server. Includes multiple blog capabilities, and RSS syndication. With Nucleus, you can set up one or more weblogs. If you want to, you can even show the contents of multiple weblogs on the same page.
By downloading the Nucleus Core package, you’ll already have access to a great set of features. By dropping in plugins, you can extend the feature set even more.
- Maintenance of one or more weblogs/news-sites
- Multiple Authors
- Within a weblog, you can set up one or more categories.
- Built-in commenting system
An open-source standard-compliant multi-lingual extensible blogging engine which does not require a database to work.
You don’t need MySQL because FlatPress stores all of its content on text files.
- Standard-compliant (XHTML valid)
- Plugin support
- Easy to customize with themes
- Free and Open Source
- Text Files
- Multiple Categorization
- Links / Blogroll
Equipped with a powerful blend of features, Drupal supports a variety of websites ranging from personal weblogs to large community-driven websites.
- Collaborative Book
- Friendly URLs
- Online help
- Role based permission system
A PHP/MySQL based application for managing dynamic web content.
“Out of the box”, it is a blog engine, or a CMS (portal system) with support for users, comments, trackbacks, multiple syndication formats, spam protection, and all the other vital features of such a system.
- Free and Open Source
- Multi-User Support
- MySQL Datastorage
- Commercial Support
- Links / Blogroll
- Multi-paged posts
A web publishing system. It’s a blog engine with some simple CMS-ish concepts (sections, pages), a very flexible templating system, and an aggressive caching scheme that takes advantage of your web server’s best traits.
- Beautiful admin interface
- Slick Asset Management
- Flexible Liquid templating system
- ATOM feeds
- Some tagging, some Ajax, yadda yadda.
A lightweight, open source, Java EE blogging tool. It’s small, fast and feature-rich with unrivalled ease of installation and use. Blog content is stored as XML files on disk and served up dynamically, so there’s no need to install a database. All maintenance and administration can be performed through your web browser, making Pebble ideal for anybody who is constantly on the move or doesn’t have direct access to their host.
- Posting and management of content through your web browser, including rich text editor support.
- Blogger and MetaWeblog API interface included for posting content via compatible tools.
- Categorization of content into multiple hierarchical categories.
- Tagging of content and a generation of a tag cloud.
- RSS enclosures for distributing files or podcasting.
- Simple content publication workflow.
- Pinging websites via XML-RPC when new blog entries are added.
- Publication of static content alongside your blog entries.
An open-source blogging platform with support for multiple blogs and users in a single installation.
- User Friendly Interface
- Integrated Media Management
- Choose your Style
- Built-in anti-spam Filter
- Multiple Users per Blog
An open source blogging platform for ASP.NET 2.0
- Ability to pre- and post-date entries
- Automatic Referral and Trackback blacklist update
- Logging and display of Comment IP addresses and resolved Hostnames for Admins
- Admin access auditing
- Improved RSS Comments support for SharpReader and RSS Bandit
- Theme templates are now cached in memory
- Support for running under ASP.NET 2.0
- Permalinks based on Title and Date optional: 2005/06/06/title.aspx
- Works with Windows Live Writer out of the box
It offers blogging, networking, community, collecting of news using feeds aggregation and file sharing features. Everything can be shared among users with access controls and everything can be cataloged by tags as well.
- Social networking
- File repositories for individuals and communities
- Podcast support
- Full access controls
- Supports tagging
- Full RSS support
Makes your web publishing experience so fun and easy as never before! From the fully automated installation to advanced content management featuresto spam fighting, boastMachine provides you with all that you would ever need!
- Lightweight, yet full-featured and easy to use
- Powerful content management system
- Dynamic search engine friendly pages
- Various permission levels for posts
- Supports multiple blogs, authors, user levels and profiles
- Readymade language, theme and smiley packs
- Built-in spam-figthing capabilities
- Powerful backup/restore system
- Written in PHP and backed by MySQL
- FREE and Open Source (GPL)
You can express yourself, share your life, and connect with friends online. You can use LiveJournal in many different ways: as a private journal, a blog, a discussion forum, a social network, and more.
- Numerous Pre-made Designs for Your Journal
- Post Rich Media to Your Journal
- Tag and Categorize Your Entries
- Manage Comments in Your Journal
This system is very flexible, elegant and easy to use. Textpattern is a web application designed to help overcome hurdles to publishing online, and to simplify the production of well-structured, standards-compliant web pages.
- Quick conversion of plain text to valid XHTML with Textile
- Quickly search old articles by keyword
- Up-to-the-minute visitor/referrer logs
- Browser-based template and CSS editing
- Unlimited site sections
- Unlimited article, link, file and image categories
A Java-based, full-featured, multi-blog, multi-user software package.
- Plugins and Event/Listeners
- Syndication Formats
- Templates and Themes
- Remote Editing
A small weblog engine written in Bash for the command line. It uses common UNIX tools, such as cat, grep and sed to create static HTML content. You can use, modify it for free under the GNU General Public License.
- intuitive command line interface
- highly configurable and script-able
- easy drafting, editing and management of entries
- archiving by category, year, month, day, and entry
- permanent and navigational links
- templates and CSS style sheets for full control over layout
- placeholders for easy template manipulation
- support for multiple weblogs
An open source .NET blogging project. A blog platform is easy customization.
- Plug ’n play
- Full featured
- Web 2.0
- Referrer stats
- Cool widgets
A powerful, elegant personal publishing system written in PHP for free, Open Source software under the GPL. It is a flexible but simple way to blog that works for blogging beginners, and can grow into a more advanced user’s needs.
- Fast, easy installation gets you up and running in minutes
- Complete control of look and feel of your blog
- Easier customization through Smarty templating
- Modular architecture makes it easy to drop in a new plugin developed by our active development community
- Threaded comments
- Advanced trackbacks, Blogrolling, XML/RPC, spam protection
- Comprehensive support for web standards
- Uses PHP/MySQL
21. Movable Type
A professional publishing platform developed by California-based Six Apart.
- A completely reinvented user interface
- Built in reports on blog activity
- Integrated asset manager for uploading, reusing, and finding files like photos, audio, and video
- Blog-style presentation of your recent content is easy to skim and lets you know how your blogs are doing
- Customize MT’s entire user interface using the same MT template language that publishes your blog
Google’s blogging platform.
- A reliable and easy to use blogging platform
- As simple as sending an email
- Gets indexed faster as it’s hosted by Google
- Self hosting not available and that is a big knock against it. Most serious bloggers want total control over their blogs and Google does not offer that
- Not that many plugins available from third parties as WordPress.